Tools for Streamlined and Standard Durability Monitoring
Before implementing durability monitoring (DM), it is important to understand which approach will best fit the specific country context. A Streamlined DM approach should be considered for implementation in countries that have already collected previous rounds of DM data and are primarily interested in evaluating bioefficacy and ITN physical integrity, particularly for new types of nets. Information from previous DM activities or other country-specific context can be used to identify sites. A Standard DM approach should be implemented where there is no or limited country data on ITN durability available. Study tools for this approach are available lower down on this page. For both types of updated study tools, the cost and sample frame will depend on the number of sites and types of ITNs monitored. A typical study includes two sites. PMI supported the development of Streamlined Durability Monitoring in 2020/2021.
Streamlined Durability Monitoring Package
The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) Insecticide Treated Net (ITN) Streamlined Durability Monitoring Package is available for countries primarily interested in evaluating bioefficacy and physical integrity of ITNs, and where previous rounds of standard durability monitoring have been conducted. Study materials and tools are related to study design, implementation, and data collection. All of the Streamlined Durability Monitoring materials are from March 2022.
- Information and Consent Forms
Standard Durability Monitoring Package
The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) Long-Lasting Insecticidal Net (LLIN) Durability Monitoring Package comprises two parts. Part 1 includes materials and tools related to study design, study implementation and data collection, up through the data entry stage. Part 2 includes materials and tools for data cleaning, preparation, analysis, and interpretation, including reporting.
Part 1: Introduction and Data Collection
Last updated: March 16, 2022
- Standard protocol text updated to reflect revised approach to laboratory activities, including pre-distribution testing of 20 ITNs and removing laboratory activities from the baseline round.
August 9, 2022
- (2b.i-2b.iii) Main cohort questionnaires in English and French updated to reflect small number of additional questions and responses, to add an optional household roster for each data collection round, and to include an optional section on household exposure to bed bugs at baseline. Portuguese translations will follow shortly.
- (2j.iv) Generic ODK files updated to reflect edits to the questionnaires in 2b.i-2b.iii and modified with additional internal logic and consistency checks.
- (3c.iv) Net Location Prompt Card added to aid field teams confirm the location and status of ITNs in the household if household entry isn’t granted or permitted.
- (5d) 36-month Stata do files updated with extensive commentary and notes for users, also updated to reflect edits to questionnaires described above. Revised do files for baseline, 12- and 24-month rounds will follow shortly.
- (9) Added bioassay SOPs for testing ITNs with the synergist PBO and ITNs with active ingredient chlorfenapyr.
July 10, 2019 – PPS cluster sampling tool, PPS cluster sampling tool example, sampling frame data example, DM design, sample size, and cluster selection PowerPoint, and generic ODK forms and do-files for ODK form preparation.
March 7, 2019 – Revised pre and post test with answer key added. 36m report template with dummy tables added.
November 15, 2018 – guidelines on submission of data and for transitioning durability monitoring to a new implementing partner were added. Baseline bioassays added as standard. Activity manual added. Interpretation of results added.
May 5, 2017 – Stata do-files for baseline and 12-month data analysis added. 12- and 24-month report and figures templates updated.
October 24, 2016 – Updates to protocol and PMI guidance made to accommodate an option for tagging a separate cohort of bioassay nets at baseline instead of selecting them from neighboring households. One-page questionnaire for bioassay nets added in English, French, and Portuguese. Minor edits were made to the Data Preparation do-files to correct an error. Sample Training Agenda was updated. File 4b, a list of supplies and materials for training and fieldwork, was added.
September 1, 2016 – Complete set of ODK forms and media files added as file 2j.ii, in all languages and for all assessments.
August 24, 2016 – Full set of survey questionnaires added/updated. Baseline, 12/24 month, and 36-month questionnaires each available in English, French, and Portuguese, with annotations where customization is required. These are minimal updates, including a new question (q38b) on seasonal net use, an addition of an answer option for why a net was removed from the household (q80), and harmonization of the list of LLIN brands across surveys and languages (q112).
August 13, 2016 – Part 2 tools added (do-files, baseline reporting templates). Printable barcode labels file and net median survival tool added.
- Introduction and Methods
- a. PMI Durability Monitoring Package Contents
- b.-LLIN-durability-monitoring-guidelines-2019-09-19: Overarching technical guidance, including basic approach, costs, and outcome measures
- c. DM Background and FAQ 2016-8-13: Detailed description of processes and justification/rationale.
- d. Budget Templates, 1d. Budget Notes: Adjustable per number of study sites
- e. DM Timeline
- f. DM Activity Manual 2017-10-26
- g. DM Design, Sample Size, and Cluster Sampling PowerPoint
- h. Link to Innovation to Impact’s SOPs for Cone Bioassay and Tunnel Tests
- Data Collection Instruments
- a. Template Durability Monitoring Protocol
- b. Survey Questionnaires
- i. Baseline Survey Questionnaire (English, French, and Portuguese)
- ii 12/24 month Survey Questionnaire (English, French, and Portuguese)
- iii 36 month Survey Questionnaire (English, French, and Portuguese)
- iv One-page Questionnaire for ITNs selected for Bioassay at 12 and 24 months (English, French, and Portuguese)
- c. Consent Scripts
- d. Sample Recruitment Script for Local Authorities and Chiefs
- e. Sample durability monitoring Data Entry Screen (EpiData)
- f. Household Selection Tools
- g. Sample Durability Monitoring Supervisor Cluster Monitoring Sheet
- h. DM Sample Size Calculator
- i. Cluster Sampling
- j. Tablet Data Collection
- i. Using ODK for Durability Monitoring: Installation, editing forms, uploading/transferring data, conversion and export of data for analysis
- ii. Complete ODK forms for data collection in English, French, and Portuguese
- iii. ODK bioassay net questionnaire: Short questionnaire to collect data on nets removed for bioassay testing at 12, 24, 36 months
- iv. Generic ODK Forms and List Preparation (zip): Excel, XML, and media files for bioassay, baseline, 12m, 24m, and 36m ODK Forms and Stata do-files for ODK form preparation
- Fieldworker Training Materials
- a. Training Workshop Planning
- b. Training Presentations (PowerPoint) and Materials
- i. Background on Durability Monitoring
- ii. Monitoring Design
- iii. Household Selection for Baseline
- iv. Overview of Questionnaire
- v. LLIN Hole Assessment Facilitators Guide
- vi. LLIN Hole Assessment Slides
- vii. Test – Hole Counting Exercise
- viii. Guidelines for Conducting Interviews
- ix. Roles and Responsibilities
- x. Finding households at 12-24-36 months with GPS
- c. Visual Aids
- d. Post Test and Selection of Field Workers
- Materials and Supplies for Fieldwork
- a. Net ID Barcode: Files for facilitating read-in of net IDS at baseline (6MB)
- b. List of materials/supplies: Required for training and fieldwork
- c. Fieldwork monitoring: Tools to facilitate data monitoring during fieldwork
Part 2: Data analysis and reporting
Note: all do-files are examples, with annotation, and will need to be reviewed and adapted before use. They cannot be run as-is.
- 5. Stata Do-Files (zip files include prep, cleaning, labeling, analysis and results files)
- 6. Baseline Report
- 7. 12- and 24-month reports
- 8. Final (36 month) report
- a. Narrative final report template with dummy tables
- b. Final report figures template
- 9. Bioassay SOPs
- 10. Data Submission and Use
- Reports and datasets in .csv must be submitted within 90 days of the end of fieldwork. See file 1f section 9.4 and 9.5 for additional details on data submission and publication guidelines.
- 11. Interpretation of Results
- 12. Transitioning durability monitoring to a new implementing partner
Part 3: Archive
- 13. Old versions of standard materials