LLIN Durability Monitoring Package
The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) Long-Lasting Insecticidal Net (LLIN) Durability Monitoring Package comprises two parts. Part 1 includes materials and tools related to study design, study implementation and data collection, up through the data entry stage. Part 2 includes materials and tools for data cleaning, preparation, analysis, and interpretation, including reporting.
Part 1: Introduction and Data Collection
Last updated: July 10, 2019 – PPS cluster sampling tool, PPS cluster sampling tool example, sampling frame data example, DM design, sample size, and cluster selection PowerPoint, and generic ODK forms and do-files for ODK form preparation.
March 7, 2019 – Revised pre and post test with answer key added. 36m report template with dummy tables added.
November 15, 2018 – guidelines on submission of data and for transitioning durability monitoring to a new implementing partner were added. Baseline bioassays added as standard. Activity manual added. Interpretation of results added.
May 5, 2017 – Stata do-files for baseline and 12-month data analysis added. 12- and 24-month report and figures templates updated.
October 24, 2016 – Updates to protocol and PMI guidance made to accommodate an option for tagging a separate cohort of bioassay nets at baseline instead of selecting them from neighboring households. One-page questionnaire for bioassay nets added in English, French, and Portuguese. Minor edits were made to the Data Preparation do-files to correct an error. Sample Training Agenda was updated. File 4b, a list of supplies and materials for training and fieldwork, was added.
September 1, 2016 – Complete set of OpenDataKit (ODK) forms and media files added as file 2j.ii, in all languages and for all assessments.
August 24, 2016 – Full set of survey questionnaires added/updated. Baseline, 12/24 month, and 36-month questionnaires each available in English, French, and Portuguese, with annotations where customization is required. These are minimal updates, including a new question (q38b) on seasonal net use, an addition of an answer option for why a net was removed from the household (q80), and harmonization of the list of LLIN brands across surveys and languages (q112).
August 13, 2016 – Part 2 tools added (do-files, baseline reporting templates). Printable barcode labels file and net median survival tool added.
Individual files (file sizes are listed if greater than 1MB):
- Introduction and Methods
- 1a. PMI Durability Monitoring Package Contents
- Overarching technical guidance, including basic approach, costs, and outcome measures
- 1c. DM Background and FAQ 2016-8-13
- Detailed description of processes and justification/rationale.
- 1d. Budget Templates, 1d. Budget Notes
- Adjustable per number of study sites
- 1e. DM Timeline
- 1f. DM Activity Manual 2017-10-26
- 1g. DM Design, Sample Size, and Cluster Sampling PowerPoint
- 1h. Link to Innovation to Impact’s SOPs for Cone Bioassay and Tunnel Tests
- Data Collection Instruments
- 2a. Template Durability Monitoring Protocol 2017-9-27
- 2b.i Baseline Survey Questionnaire (English, French, and Portuguese)
- 2b.ii 12/24 month Survey Questionnaire (English, French, and Portuguese)
- 2b.iii 36 month Survey Questionnaire (English, French, and Portuguese)
- 2b.iv One-page Questionnaire for ITNs selected for Bioassay at 12 and 24 months (English, French, and Portuguese)
- 2c.i Sample Oral Consent Script for Participants
- 2c.ii Sample Oral Consent Script for Bioassay Net Households
- 2d. Sample Recruitment Script for Local Authorities and Chiefs
- 2e. Sample durability monitoring Data Entry Screen (EpiData)
- Household Selection Tools
- 2f.i. Household Sampling Instructions
- 2f.ii Random Number List for Selecting Sections within Clusters
- 2f.iii. Random Number List for Household Selection 15×10
- 2f.iv. Form – Household Listing and Selection
- 2f.v. Example final sampled settlements
- 2f.vi. Example household list at 12-24-36 months
- 2g. Sample Durability Monitoring Supervisor Cluster Monitoring Sheet
- 2h. DM Sample Size Calculator
- 2i.i PPS Cluster Sampling Tool
- 2i.ii PPS Cluster Sampling Tool Example
- 2i.iii Sampling Frame Data Example
- Tablet Data Collection
- 2j.i. Using ODK for Durability Monitoring
- Installation, editing forms, uploading/transferring data, conversion and export of data for analysis
- 2j.ii Complete ODK Forms and media files for data collection in English, French, Portuguese
- Blank columns in yellow highlight are provided to facilitate translation into additional languages
- Baseline, 12/24 month, and 36-month forms are included.
- 2j.iii. ODK bioassay net questionnaire
- short questionnaire to collect data on nets removed for bioassay testing at 12, 24, 36 months
- 2j.iv Generic ODK Forms and List Preparation (zip)
- Excel, XML, and media files for bioassay, baseline, 12m, 24m, and 36m ODK Forms and Stata do-files for ODK form preparation
- 2j.i. Using ODK for Durability Monitoring
- Fieldworker Training Materials
- 3a.i. Sample Training Workshop Agenda
- 3a.ii. Sample Training Attendence Register
- Training Presentations (PowerPoint) and Materials
- 3b.i. Background on Durability Monitoring (4MB)
- 3b.ii. Monitoring Design
- 3b.iii. Household Selection for Baseline
- 3b.iv. Overview of Questionnaire
- 3b.v. LLIN Hole Assessment Facilitators Guide (3MB)
- 3b.vi. LLIN Hole Assessment Slides (6MB)
- 3b.vii. Test – Hole Counting Exercise
- 3b.viii. Guidelines for Conducting Interviews
- 3b.ix. Roles and Responsibilities
- 3b.x. Finding households at 12-24-36 months with GPS
- Visual Aids
- Post Test and Selection of Field Workers
- Materials and Supplies for Fieldwork
Part 2: Data analysis and reporting
Note: all do-files are examples, with annotation, and will need to be reviewed and adapted before use. They cannot be run as-is.
- 5. Stata Do-Files (zip files include prep, cleaning, labeling, analysis and results files)
- 6. Baseline Report
- 7. 12- and 24-month reports
- 8. Final (36 month) report
- 8a. Narrative final report template with dummy tables
- 8b. Final report figures template
- 9. Data Submission and Use
- Reports and datasets in .csv must be submitted within 90 days of the end of fieldwork. See file 1f section 9.4 and 9.5 for additional details on data submission and publication guidelines.
- 10. Interpretation of Results
- 11. Transitioning durability monitoring to a new implementing partner